A.R.T.S. Literature Basics
Literature is the backbone of A.R.T.S. Anonymous. Below you can download all A.R.T.S. pamphlets and booklets. And click here to read excerpts from the A.R.T.S. Twelve Step Essays. The Step Essays and Step Workbooks can be ordered here.
- Meeting Format and Readings (pdf)
“Our art is a gift to be shared." This brochure includes all the basics of the A.R.T.S. Anonymous program: the Twelve Steps of A.R.T.S., the Traditions, Traits of Avoidant Artists, Tools for Recovery, and Talents for a good life.
- Starting Your First Meeting (pdf)
"Based on our own experiences, we feel confident enough to say that your new A.R.T.S. meeting may be one of your most rewarding creations. Many of us have found that the A.R.T.S. members we see regularly at meetings become our new, supportive ‘artistic family’ and the A.R.T.S. meeting itself becomes a new home – a place where we can openly and honestly share the joys, fears, achievements and disappointments of the past week and a place where we are supported for being the creative, evolving and multi-dimensional spiritual and human beings we truly are."
- The Anorexia of Avoidance (pdf)
"And so I try to kill my love of my art, my love of doing my art, and I kill my yearning, my dreams, my appetite, my aspirations, my upward look, and I do not, as Emerson put it, “hitch my wagon to a star.” I’m “safe” from my creative gifts. And meanwhile something once wonderfully alive in me is dying…"
- Facing Avoidance: An Inventory of Attitudes (pdf)
"27. Does my concern about how my work will be received keep me from doing it?
54. Do I make appropriate efforts to share my art?
74. Do I present, promote, and preserve my art with the respect it deserves?" Download Facing Avoidance
- The Creative Block and A.R.T.S. (pdf)
"The Twelve Steps of A.R.T.S. Anonymous offer a recovery path out of darkness. They are the means whereby past traumas and life problems can be overcome. The Twelve Steps accept that nothing about the past can be changed -- but people can separate from their past. The Steps spiritually change the fear-based personality."
- The Inspired Life (pdf)
"Although our will has no power over the coming and goings of inspiration, we can set up our creative life so that we can receive inspiration when it comes calling. Two writers were having lunch and at 1:00 PM one writer said he had to go home because “I have a date with my Muse.” “Oh,” said the other, “When is she coming?” To which he replied, “I don’t know exactly so I have to be home when she knocks on my door.”
- How A.R.T.S. Works (pdf)
- Step One Founder Letter with Group Questions (pdf)
- Twelve Tools for Recovery (pdf)
- A.R.T.S. Traits and Talents (pdf)
- The Slogans of A.R.T.S. (pdf)
- The Creative Process (pdf)
- A.R.T.S. Steps and Traditions (pdf)
- Powerless Over and Unmanageable (pdf)
- Goethe Until One Is Committed (pdf)
- A.R.T.S. Frequently Asked Questions (pdf)
- A.R.T.S. Preamble (pdf)
- A.R.T.S. Closing Prayer (pdf)
- A.R.T.S. Art Our Spiritual Awakening (pdf)
"We tried to be grateful for whatever happened – big deals or tiny breaks. We learned to accept graciously and not demand that our good come in a certain way. We found that by appreciating what we had, we received more. Mishaps and setbacks became opportunities for growth."
- A.R.T.S. 2015 P.L.A.N. Contract (pdf)